Sunday, June 26, 2011

Recap: Getting Giddy. BUCS WIN.


team-spacer 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 inning-spacer R H E LOB
Red Sox 1 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 score-spacer 4 9 1 8
Pirates 0 0 0 4 1 0 1 0 X score-spacer 6 8 2 8

As mentioned in the Gameday post, I was at Kennywood yesterday and didn't see or hear most of this game. While waiting in line for the Racer, my friend was on his phone and I asked him what the Pirates were doing. "It's 2-0 in the 4th," he said, "that @#$% Gonzalez hit a home run." Figuring that the Red Sox were finally going to pile on the Bucs like they had threatened to do all last game, I didn't ask again and went through the rest of my time at the park without thinking too much about the game. As I got in my car, however, I thought I would turn on the radio and see how the Pirates were doing. "We're hanging on to this lead by our fingernails," Steve Blass said, as Daniel Moskos had just gotten Gonzalez to ground out to end the Sox half of the 7th. Garret Jones hit his homer as I was going through Homestead. Some dude walking on the Homestead Grays bridge gave me a weird look as I yelled and fist-pumped, but I didn't care. I pulled into my driveway just as Chase d'Arnaud struck out to end the 8th, and raced upstairs to watch Joel Hanrahan complete his 22nd save in a row. I found out later that Lyle Overbay had hit a 3-run dinger in the 4th, and that Jeff Karstens had hit his first career RBI, in addition to picking up the W. The Buccos continue to amaze. They go for the sweep today against the Sox, as unbelievable as that seems.

VFPH's 3 Stars of the Game

  1. PIT Lyle Overbay, 1B: 1 for 3, 1 R, 3 RBI, 1 BB, home run
  2. PIT Garrett Jones, RF: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, double, home run
  3. BOS Josh Reddick, LF: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, home run
Play of the Game: Lyle Overbay's 3-run shot in the 4th

No comments:

Post a Comment